In the interest of recycling bits, some random observations about iOS5… some of which have been a long time coming for the iPhone:
- Ringtones are now supported for alerts: you can finally use your own m4r files for reminder tones
- Syncing over Wifi: great to have, but slower than the cable. Also of note: turn off the “start iTunes when you connect a device” option if you don’t want iTunes to pop up on your desktop just because your iPhone is charging
- Emoji enabled: I’m not sure if this is available without the old hack, but it’s still in my available keyboards, so it might be… either way, good to still see it supported
- Quick camera: even with my lock screen requirements due to my IT department, I find it great that I can double-click the home button and have access to the camera without having to unlock the thing
- You can now manually refresh the calendar! At least I think you can… while looking at your calendar, hit the Calendars button on the upper left and you’ll be shown a list of available calendars. In the lower left, there’s a refresh icon, that seems to refresh the data of all the calendars. If you only have one calendar installed, I don’t know if this is available… maybe the “Calendar” button becomes “Refresh”.
And in the still needs improvement area – maybe for iOS6:
- Shuffle by Album: still missing since the release of the iPhone
- Video App: I still don’t understand why (or how) to turn on Series names in the TV Show section of the video application
More as it is discovered.